SSPAN Young Writers’ Award: Details of Entry 2018
- Entries must be received by 5pm, 22 June 2018.
- Entry is free.
- All entrants must be students in high schools in the Shoalhaven.
- Entries must be the original work of the entrant and address this year’s theme, ‘Out of the blue’.
- Entries must be unpublished at the time of submission and remain unpublished until after the Awards Presentation in August 2018.
- There is a limit of one entry per person in each category
- Any entry that does not adhere to the word limit, 750 words for the story and 50 lines for the poem, is ineligible.
- SSPAN reserves the right to retain and publish copies of the winning entries in the SSPAN Young Writers Award annual anthology and/or on the SSPAN web site.
- Any story that includes strong language or adult themes may not be included in the anthology.
- Copyright remains with the author.
- The judges reserve the right not to award a prize in a category if they deem no entry is of sufficient merit to warrant the prize.
- The judges’ decisions will be final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Students whose immediate family members are also members of SSPAN are not eligible to enter the competition.
- Failure to meet any of the conditions will render entries ineligible.
- All entries will be accepted at the discretion of the SSPAN Young Writers’ Award Committee, which will exercise its judgment in ruling on questions of eligibility. The ruling of the Committee on questions of eligibility is final, and no further correspondence will be entered into.
- The personal information collected on the entry form will be used by SSPAN for purposes of the Young Writers’ Award.
- SSPAN will not disclose this information unless specifically required by law or with the entrant’s consent.
- The entrant or the entrant’s parent or guardian may apply to SSPAN for access to and/or correction of the personal information collected. Such requests should be made to the SSPAN Young Writers’ Award Coordinator.
- Where a prize-winning entry is published as permitted under the Award’s conditions, the author’s name and state of residence (or school if applicable) will also be published by way of accreditation unless the author or the author’s parent or guardian advises in writing that he/she or they do not wish to have the name published. No further information will be disclosed without consent.
Winning Entries in Print
Each year an anthology of winning entries will be published. Winning entries in 2018 will be published in the SSPAN Young Writers’ Award Anthology 2018.
Copies of the SSPAN Young Writers’ Award Anthology 2018 will be available for purchase or to borrow from the Shoalhaven Libraries Service.
Entrants who win, or are highly commended in the SSPAN Young Writers’ Award 2017, will receive a complimentary copy of the 2017 anthology.
Winners, in addition to having their entry published in the annual anthology, may be invited to read their stories at schools functions or at one of the Shoalhaven Public Libraries and have them displayed as part of the SSPAN aim to promote mental fitness, resilience and courage in adversity.
For more information, email the Young Writers’ Award Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org