Transport subsidies for getting home from mental health care
This transport scheme is intended to assist with subsidising bus, train and taxi fares for consumers who reside in the Illawarra Shoalhaven region only.
What is it?
Safe Journey Home provides transport services for consumers living in the Illawarra Shoalhaven region to travel home from inpatient units.
How does it work?
The discharge planner at the inpatient unit arranges the transport.
Transport is provided free of charge, on a case-by-case basis, to address needs of each individual consumer. Taxi vouchers or Opal Cards are used.
Who is eligible for Safe Journey Home?
There are a number of ways someone can access the service.
If the person is unable to access traditional transport then they are eligible if:
- They live in the Shoalhaven Illawarra region
- They live alone or may be living with people who have little or no support mechanism to transport them home
- Current transport methods do not meet their needs
- They are undertaking rehabilitation services and are required to go home and return as part of their recovery
- They are unable to safely utilize public transport at all
If this is the situation then they should speak to the NUM in Charge (the Nurse Unit Manager) or the Clerk in Charge to access Safe Journey Home services.